Q: What is denormalization?
A: In short, when the sound doesn’t play, the plugin starts to use several times more CPU power. It’s related with processing of very small numbers very very close to zero (less than -600 dBFS).
Q: Molot 0.3 didn’t have such problems, so why they were added to version 0.3.1?
A: This bug is related with combination of new limiter code and auto-off feature.
Q: What is auto-off feature?
A: When there’s no input signal, the signal processing code is bypassed. If it happens, version string on GUI becomes gray.
Windows version is updated under the same download link:
EDIT: Mac version is updated too (and also support for Mac OS X 10.5 restored):
PS. Reaper performance meter is a good tool to detect such problems!
And also thanks to Theo Niessink! EDIT: And Marc Abram too.
PPS. Also I found the same problem in Proximity plugin. Update shall come soon!
What’s new in Molot 0.3.1:
- Output and editing of numeric parameter values. (Editing not implemented in 32-bit AU version)
- Fixed wrong mode in some presets.
- Fixed filter used in linear phase oversampling mode.
- Added “dithering off” option.
- Fixed working with VstToRTAS.
- Added AU version.
- Added support for 10 times attack time scaling.
- Changed limiter code (based on Limiter No6)
What’s new in Limiter №6 1.0.2:
- Less intensive animation (to save CPU cycles);
- Stereo-linked mode in peak-limiter was significantly improved;
- Numeric parameter values now editable (excluding 32-bit AU version);
- Modes I-III of peak limiter were slightly changed;
- AU version added
AU version release notes:
- To refresh DAW latency compensation when plugin latency is changed, audio must be restarted (stop/start);
- Limiter №6 changes its latency in “Min.latency” mode;
- Molot changes its latency when switched between “HQ” and “Fast” oversampling modes.
- new limiter based on Limiter No6 one;
- editable numeric parameter values;
- bug fixes including Vst2RTAS wrapper compatibility fixes;
- 32/64-bit AU version.
Windows versions (32/64-bit, GUI and GUI-less and also 2-channels version):
Mac versions (32/64-bit, VST and AU):
So finally, what’s new in version 1.0.2?
- New stereo-linking in peak limiter significantly reduced distortions;
- Numeric parameter values now editable;
- Less intensive animations to reduce CPU usage;
- Subtle changes in peak limiter Type I-III modes.
Windows version (32/64-bit, both GUI included):
Mac versions (32/64-bit, VST/AU):
AU version release notes:
- in “Min. latency” mode to refresh host latency compensation you must stop then start playback;
- if you manually enter numeric parameter value, you should click somewhere on plugin background instead of pressing “enter” key.
PS. I want to give more tests for this version, then release it!
New Molot version was mentioned in September’12:
But next, it was KVR Developer Challenge 2012 and this Proximity plugin:
And next, I was busy for some unexpected reasons! And after that there were holidays! They are over and now I’m thinking what I should do the next…
By the way, for AU version please check this excellent video by Vanessa Leinani for VSTAU wrapping of Molot:
I want to release new version of Molot at the end of January. For now I’m thinking about replacement of Molot peak limiter to one from Limiter №6…
About Limiter №6. For some reasons, no one mention to me that stereo linking in peak-limiter module of Limiter №6 is not working at all!!! Thanks to Alexey Lukin for noticing that. The fix is ready and I after some stability tests I’m going to release it in a very very short period of time!
These are my short-term plans. My long-term plans are to make something in collaboration with Tokyo Dawn Labs in this year and also to make some new plugin of course! Yeah!
Read more of this post
“Proximity” plugin was updated to version 1.0.1:
- denormalization bugs were fixed to solve occasional high CPU usage problems;
- GUI#2 editable label color was fixed in Mac version.
You can download updated version from KVR DC12 page:
There was some reports about problems with “Proximity” AU version and Logic 9. At the same time a lot of users report that the plugin works on their Logic 9 without any problems. I can’t reproduce this problem yet. But seems reinstalling the plugin for some unknown reason can help.
…it happened two times – exactly when opening the plug-in on track in Logic
(v 9.1.8 64bit…)
but for now I can’t recreate this
…I don’t know what to say
everything works just fine.
I downloaded again and reinstalled and it works! I deleted logic’s .prefs file first as I find it sometimes helps in these cases, so I don’t know if that was what did the trick. (…)
I’m really sad about these problems but we’ll try to fix them. Because upcoming AU versions of our plugins will use the same code. Yes, this plugin had lack of testing on Logic due to competition preparation tight schedule.
PS. I want to prepare one more video about this plugin in a few days!
Proximity is a collaborative effort by Tokyo Dawn Labs and vladg/sound
This plug-in is an easy to use distance “pan-pot” based on several psycho-acoustic models. The idea is to give mixing engineer a reliable tool which allows him to manipulate the “depth” of several sound sources in a straight forward and convincing manner.
Several models can be combined:
- Distance signal delay by speed of sound.
- Distance gain loss.
- Absorption of high-frequencies in air.
- Stereo width manipulation.
- Proximity effect of virtual microphone.
- Distance based early reflections.
All of them can be turned on and off to taste. Distance modulation options extend the creative possibilities even further. Units can be switched from metric (meters) to imperial (inches).
The plug-in is available in 32 and 64-bits versions for Windows and Mac OS X in VST and AU format.
PS. Video about using of Proximity plugin will be available soon. EDIT: [Watch the video!]
Check this screenshot:
You can see that parameter values are shown and can be edited.
PS. Also I checked VST version with RTAS wrapper. And it’s OK!
PPS. Also with 64-bit support of course!
Limiter №6 v1.0.1 has completed. I want to make last checks until monday and then update “official” links on downloads page. EDIT: updated
Windows VST 32-bit and 64-bit:
Limiter6-v101-gui1.zip / Limiter6-v101-gui2.zip
Mac OS X VST 32-bit and 64-bit:
Limiter6-v101-gui1.dmg / Limiter6-v101-gui2.dmg
- Mac VST 64-bit support;
- Fixed CPU-related GUI issues;
- Support of DirectX acceleration for Vista/Seven (less CPU for graphics).
PS. Also I sucessfully checked this version with RTAS wrapper.
PPS. Sound engine and functionality was not changed. The PDF manual is still the same:
Limiter6-manual-en.pdf / Limiter6-manual-ru.pdf / Limiter6-manual-jp.pdf
Developers only information. I did VSTGUI 3.5 -> VSTGUI 4.0.1 port for latest Limiter №6 version to support 64-bit Mac and I (again) have problems with VST RTAS Wrapper on Mac (with Molot I almost solved them in 0.2.168c version if you remember) and Limiter №6 v1.0 worked fine with this wrapper most of the time.
Read more of this post