Peak limiter module prototype
I think I’ve got some kind of concept for upcoming clipper/limiter plugin. This plugin is planned to contain these modules:
- input clipper
- peak limiter (a.k.a “thin” limiter)
- signal limiter (a.k.a “thick” limiter)
- peak meter / output clipper
All modules are optional and can be turned off. Peak limiter has very fast attack/release and used only to limit peaks of signal. This “thin” limiter can optionally be used as HF limiter to limit only high-frequency components of peaks. Signal limiter has long attack/release settings to limit signal “body”. This “thick” limiter can be used in brickwall mode or in analog-style mode to pass parts of attacks through. Final clipper can work in inter-sample peaks suppression mode. And I think some high-pass filter to remove DC offset can be useful. That’s the concept.
Also I already implemented some ideas for peak limiter as test plugin. You can [download] it to check (Windows VST 32-bit and 64-bit).
What’s done in this test plugin:
- very fast attack/release limiter plugin
- only 6 samples of latency (in 44.1 kHz) so it can be used realtime
- it’s intended to limit signal peaks only so it sounds bad when limiting the signal “body”
What’s not done in this test plugin:
- no oversampling
- no inter-samples peaks detection
- no high-frequency limiting yet
So that’s it.
It’s hard not to tell something about politics and last weeks events.
“Brain slugs I didn’t vote for you”. The girl with this poster for [fair elections] had a part in action of protest and was arrested by local police ten days ago. Fortunately she was freed on the next day by judge decision with small fee as penalty. Sad = Funny
Anyway it’s holidays soon. So let’s think about presents and shopping now 🙂