I think I’ve got some kind of concept for upcoming clipper/limiter plugin. This plugin is planned to contain these modules:
- input clipper
- peak limiter (a.k.a “thin” limiter)
- signal limiter (a.k.a “thick” limiter)
- peak meter / output clipper
All modules are optional and can be turned off. Peak limiter has very fast attack/release and used only to limit peaks of signal. This “thin” limiter can optionally be used as HF limiter to limit only high-frequency components of peaks. Signal limiter has long attack/release settings to limit signal “body”. This “thick” limiter can be used in brickwall mode or in analog-style mode to pass parts of attacks through. Final clipper can work in inter-sample peaks suppression mode. And I think some high-pass filter to remove DC offset can be useful. That’s the concept.
Also I already implemented some ideas for peak limiter as test plugin. You can [download] it to check (Windows VST 32-bit and 64-bit).
What’s done in this test plugin:
- very fast attack/release limiter plugin
- only 6 samples of latency (in 44.1 kHz) so it can be used realtime
- it’s intended to limit signal peaks only so it sounds bad when limiting the signal “body”
What’s not done in this test plugin:
- no oversampling
- no inter-samples peaks detection
- no high-frequency limiting yet
So that’s it.
Read more of this post